you’ve got it…..

Back in the 90s, whilst working at the radio station; one pop star of the time that I did not enjoy on any level, was Mick Hucknall. The radio station was a big champion of Simply Red – I can’t even tell you how many times a day they played ‘Fairground’! It was over kill of the harshest kind. I had loved Simply Red in the 80’s and thought the music was great but Mick himself made me feel a bit unwell; I would have to switch him off when ever he appeared on TV. I couldn’t fathom how he managed to go out with such gorgeous women, rich or not, it wasn’t a good enough reason surely?! Most days we would have celebrities in and out of reception, sometimes this was exciting and sometimes it wasn’t. This particular day in 1995 was exciting, Suzie (my friend and the receptionist) and I were twiddling our thumbs on the front desk when we got word that Mick was coming in for an interview to promote the album – I was horrified! We whipped ourselves up into a frenzy about his visit and got the giggles even before the poor man had even entered the building. As he walked in, our giggles came to an abrupt halt and our jaws dropped! Where was the small slimy man with a shock of red dreads and a scrunched up face that we were expecting? Instead, in walked a deliciously tall man, with a sexy swagger, leather trousers and a smiley face. He still had the shock of red dreads, as this was pre Martine McCutcheon allegedly throwing up on them and him having to cut his hair! He introduced himself and we were practically swooning – I could barely contain myself – the man oozed sex appeal!! We had a lovely little chat with him, and offered him a chewing gum like we were school girls! I had never gone from revulsion to attraction in such a short space of time! Since then I really try not to judge a book by its cover, charisma is such a strong part of attraction and for me it’s the most important thing! So next time you look at Mick Hucknall or whoever your reviled idol may be, think of me and my old pal Mick, you too could be drooling and handing out chewing gums in an hysterical fashion one day. :)

Share:

10 Comments

1. July 8, 2010 / 5:23 pm

I can't quite believe it…. are you sure you found him attractive?!

2. July 8, 2010 / 5:54 pm

Hucknell.. He's a c**t no doubting that. Worse person I have ever worked with in my life.

3. July 9, 2010 / 9:16 am

Funny how that works. Richard Wilson had the same effect on me when we met in House of Fraser Bromley.

4. July 9, 2010 / 9:16 am

5. July 9, 2010 / 10:00 am

Ha ha James! That is so funny! It was back in 1995 and for half hour. Please dont judge me LOLOL!x

6. July 9, 2010 / 2:44 pm

You crack me up Lisa, I’m afraid no matter how suave and charming Mick is I just couldn’t…But, I do agree with you re charm. There’s something special about people who ooze charm from every pore. I know a boy who isn’t the best looking guy on the planet but he has a presence that for me (unfortunately) makes him totally irresistible.

7. July 9, 2010 / 2:44 pm

8. July 9, 2010 / 4:19 pm

Never judge a book by its cover, very interesting :) Good advice and a fab story :) thanks xx

9. July 9, 2010 / 4:19 pm

10. April 4, 2011 / 2:21 pm

Just linked over from Twitter! I have ALWAYS thought he was hot, now I know just HOW hot! Love Simply Red's music. Great story! What other celebs did you meet?