twenty somethings vs fifty somethings!?

I spent time at the dreamful wedding last week with two very different men. One was a handsome young man aged 22 – good fun, charming, he had done his research and scoped me out as one of two single girls at the wedding, I loved this and thought it was very amusing! However, he was 22 and I have to draw the age line somewhere (ha ha so sensible!), so other than a lovely bit of banter he went on his merry way to investigate the other single girl – bless him.

The other man, I have know for years but have not seen him for years either. I had never really indulged myself in his company before; it was delightful, he was older, funny, chilled, knowledgeable and most of all there was nothing he didn’t know about music. He was also the most professional yet subtle flirt I have ever come across – I can flirt til I drop and even I had trouble keeping up with the situation. All very pleasant, humorous chit chat but when we said our goodbyes I couldn’t think of anything to say apart from breezily exclaiming ‘see you at the next wedding!’, I gave him a quick hug and ran! Nothing like behaving like a teenager in the company of an attractive older man – duh!

The next day at breakfast – my dad informed me that the man in question was in his 50’s – I asked ‘what just 50?’ and dad said ‘no, 57’, I nearly choked on my toast!! What is going on with me? Veering away from a handsome 22 year old only to be enamoured by a reasonably attractive 57 year old!? Still feeling quite shocked, I started wittering on about how it is soooo hard getting this man thing right.

The men I meet are either:
1. nice – but not that into me
2. way too old
3. way too young
4. with someone else
5. clever but not funny
6. funny but not clever
7. good looking but boring
8. boring but good looking

The list is endless, it’s not easy to get all the factors you like in one person and then have the added thing of actually clicking with them (most important). It’s not that I am desperate for a boyfriend because I am not, but great conversation and some fun would be nice. My dad’s response to all this was that ticking all the right boxes in someone is like a game of golf – if you haven’t got all the components then you really can’t play a good game!! It was the most random thing to say, a crazy analogy, and was absolutely no help to me, but it did make me laugh out loud.
Golf Vs My love life….what next?!

Share:

9 Comments

1. July 5, 2009 / 7:33 pm

haha love your dad!! – great blog, as usual love it :)

2. July 5, 2009 / 8:25 pm

When it comes to finding the perfect partner, there are two theories. And neither of them work.x

3. July 6, 2009 / 9:37 am

Just as bad from the other side

4. July 6, 2009 / 10:02 am

Lol – its all fun and games though jase!! xx

5. July 7, 2009 / 4:15 pm

Golf? Don't dads say the funniest things? Personally, I don't think you can tick all the boxes, just don't worry about the boxes next to minor things you can live with (eg he's always pinching my change for the car park – I just make sure I always have a secret supply of £1 coins!)(Thanks for popping in to mine)

6. July 7, 2009 / 4:39 pm

Thanks LV! I'll be checking in on yours as well xoxohttp://londonsnog.blogspot.com/

7. July 8, 2009 / 7:09 pm

Now if the choice were between those two that would be hard. But then I tend to agree with Demi, young is fun. Good post!Sorry to take so long getting over your way, my isp keeps downing our service for whatever reason. Also my yard is being way too demanding this year. Otherwise all is well. Have a great day,SQ

8. July 14, 2009 / 1:20 pm

I've dated a man 9 years younger and that lasted for 6 years, and just recently dated a guy 11 years older and got dumped after 2 months! So you never know until you're into the dynamics of the relationship, whether it will "work" or not! lol!

9. July 19, 2009 / 12:30 pm

Well, it depends if you are looking for stamina in the bedroom or in conversation-so rare to get both but know it's out there somewhere as I've found it!! Comparing it to golf is such a man thing to say and doesn't sound like much fun ticking boxes! Still for you there are many different golf clubs out there to try, plus all the different courses, then there's all those tee's-big ones, small ones and so on. Just don't look for it and your perfect game of golf will come when you least expect it!