Its been a funny year really. You find that some years nothing of any real any significance happens then other years far too much happens, and as you stand there counting down to midnight you think “What on earth was that all about”? I’ve personally found the year a little tumultuous but as with most years I’m always grateful for everything and everyone I have in my life, so I guess that’s a positive. I thought I’d share a list of things I’ve learned in 2016, I usually do a list of highlights but I feel a ‘things I learned in 2016’ would be far more interesting – even at 41 it surprises me how much you can you still learn about people, things, places, the world and mostly yourself!
THINGS I LEARNED
1. Not everything can be solved (I’m a practical person and I like to have a solution to everything – if you know me this can either be annoying or helpful). This year I’ve realised that they are many things that can’t be solved and there are times you have to just let things be.
2. I can Zumba (look out for another post on why this is a revelation)
3. I can handle a really big PR launch with a Hollywood celebrity without having a nervous breakdown.
4. Southern Rail are absolutely shocking, have wasted many hours including my birthday sat on a a train going absolutely nowhere many times this year.
5. I have the patience of a saint – this covers a multitude of situations I’ve found myself in both personally and professionally
6. Never give too much advice, particularly in matters of the heart. This could come back to bite you on the bum later down the line so just be there for someone with love troubles don’t give too much personal opinion.
7. I can actually drive a car. I may not have actually passed my test but I can definitely drive. This is almost as exciting as being able to Zumba
8. I love working with men. I worked with a group of guys on a project this year and it was the most stress free project ever. Men are under rated in PR!
9. I love going to my Slimming World group more than actually doing the slimming world plan, so much so the consultant had to remind us that it was “slimming club not a social club”.
10. I’m terrible at keeping up with my blog.
11. I love Bridget jones just as much at 41 as I did at 22
12. I know what Paw Patrol is because I have a little person in my life now and I’ve seen at least 10 episodes. It makes a big change from Sex and the City.
13. My intuition gets better with age (also sometimes annoying)
14. It’s always good to put the car in correct gear when on a driving test.
15. That politics and social media don’t mix and bore me to tears. Bring back when we just used to tweet about ‘tweet meets’
16. Be nice to everyone you meet – you never know when and where you’ll meet them again. This is so valuable and I’m glad I’ve always followed this advice as it’s paid off professionally a few times for me this year.
Please feel free to share some lessons you’ve learned this year in the comments – not that I ever get comments but it could happen! 😃